Sunday, April 26, 2009

Erotic Art Show

I participated in the annual Erotic Art Show here in Helena, MT this last Saturday and had a wonderful time. I have to say, the level of art has improved immensely over the years. The slide show of erotic photography always seems to get the most attention, but the artists who are bringing their work to show are bringing some really nice pieces. There is black and white photography, oil paintings, bronzes, and of course, ceramics. The hosts at the Staggering Ox have a buffet, no host bar and a band. It's a great time for $5.

There was a new artist by the name of Nancy who had some nice charcoal portraits, a young artist by the name of Charlie who had a framed painting that was very cool (you can get a hint of it behind my sculpture in the image below) and some fun oils and found art. The work presented in the show in general seems to be progressing from tacky to more sensual, but as my friend Jodi has stated, "One person's erotic is another person's ordinary." Too true!



I took Daphne Awakening, and she seemed to be a hit. I changed her up a bit, darkened her colors, made a pedestal for her, and I am very pleased with the result. I will be updating the studio photos of her soon.

So what is Erotic Art, anyway? What makes one piece more erotic over another? To me, it is subtle - the suggestion. But I'm curious what you think. Comment below!

No comments: